A total of 30 athletes will be invited to compete in the 2002 X Games. Each athlete will receive two timed qualifying runs with their single best run being used to rank them from 1-30. Of these, the top 24 will go on to the elimination rounds of the 6-man Super Mass format.
1. Positions 1-24 from the IGSA World Rankings as of May 1, 2002 will receive invitations.
2. 6 provisional invitations based upon the following criteria:
1). Previous X Games Gold medalists*.
2). Previous X Games Silver medalists*.
3). Previous X Games Bronze medalists*.
3. If all provisional positions are filled, than 25th and higher in sequential order from the IGSA World Rankings as of May 1, 2002 will be used to fill the field.
4. If an athlete in positions 1-24 is unable to compete, positions 25 and above in sequential order from the IGSA World Rankings as of May 1, 2002, will be used to fill the positions.
* Must have competed in an IGSA sanctioned event since May 1, 2001 and be ranked outside of the top 24.